Indian creek ticker

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Nobody told me!

When I was in church as a teenager, I remember lessons on motherhood. How it was a grand calling from on high. How we receive these precious spirits from heaven. How we are responsible for teaching these innocent pure gifts. Don't get me wrong, I totally believe all those things......I'm just saying that nobody told me the rest of the story. I feel a little duped. There was never a lesson in church about days like yesterday.

7:35 a.m. put the kids on the bus
7:36 a.m. happy dance at the glorious silence
7:40 a.m. call from Kassidy. she got punched in the nose on the bus. popped out both her lenses and she is in tears.
7:45 a.m. pull on jeans and a t-shirt pull hair back in pony go to the school

At this point in the story I feel obligated to say that Kassidy was punched in the nose by Kort. They seriously have a 3 and a half minute bus ride and they can't contain themselves?!? I go pull Kort out of class and ask him about the situation. Needless to say Kass had started it, but still. So I drag Kort down to the lunch room where Kass was finishing her breakfast. Apparently I was a tiny bit miffed because the lunch lady took one look at me and the death grip I had on Kort's neck and she said, " We will give you guys some privacy." The lunch lady and five other students file out into the hall. I tell Kort to apologize to Kass. He mutters a very insincere 'Sorry' . "What else do you have to say to Kass?", I ask. Kort looks at me, not knowing what I meant. I say, "Tell Kass that nothing deserves a punch in the nose." At this point with a gathering group of hungry children and a fabulous lunch lady waiting for us in the hall, Kort folds his arms and looks at me over the top of his glasses and mutters, " I ain't saying that!" Bascuse me? "Say it!", I reply. "No.", is the answer I get. For a split second I think, "Oh crap, I am not going to be able to make him say it!" I then mentally gather myself and hiss at him, "Oh yes you will!!!" A quiet hiss so that the growing audience in the hallway won't here me. Finally I was the winner, but now I have two children in tears in the school lunchroom. I take Kort out in the hallway and thank the lunch lady for the 'privacy'. I take him to a corner to talk him down. We wash his face and calm him for class. I send him back in and start to walk out the car. When I see the adorable lunch lady poke her head into the hallway and say, "You are a good mom, Penny!" I love lunch ladies!!!!!

So back to my original point. Never a motherhood lesson for this, but maybe there should be. Motherhood is not all flowers on the tables and love and sweetness. Sometimes its violence, embarrassment and no makeup in public. But I'm pretty sure that the ugly moments are just as important as the pretty ones. Well, I'm hoping!!!!

7 comments:

Natalie said...

I totally agree that we needed some more 'REAL LIFE' lessons in church. Only....if we had them probably some of us would chose to not be moms. :( Love your version of a mom and love the lunch lady comment too!! You are not only a good mom....any mom willing to do what you did is a great mom!:)

Joddi said...

I love this post!! I've had similiar thoughts, I also think each child should have come with an individual instruction manual, ok maybe just a "quick start" guide, just to cover their basic personalities! haha Lunch ladies are pretty smart! I also think you are an amazing mom!

Devin, Shellie, Addie, Connor And Noah said...

I love your post. I agree with that whole thing and believe that Addie and Connor are just beginning. They argue about everything and just can't get along. They have done so well so far but it is beginning and I fear for what is to come. I am sure I am going to have many moments like you explain in addition to the ones I've already had. You are a great mom:) Why don't you write a book on what real "motherhood" is like so that it can be taught in church.

Grandma Kroll said...

Oh how I needed this two weeks ago when I had to teach that lesson to the beehives! I was really struggling with how to teach this perfect life lesson with out making the girls think that there was something wrong with their families!! I may have to tell them this story so they know that the "real" mom that they live with is OK and that they will be OK too. You are simply the best, friend and mom!

Grandma Kroll said...

PS I am appalled that you would say Kass started it!!

Mellonee said...

She's back! Oh how I miss your blogging! Love your take on this and it's kind of like I was there too (or that could just be that summer week where I"ve been there for similar mom moments!). You are a great mom! I learn so much from you and you have amazing children. Thanks for the post. It's fun to be at your blog for something other than the countdown! :P

Eddins Family said...

Man, I hate that you guys moved!!! I miss your fam in the ward!