Indian creek ticker

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Pre-Conditoning: Part #1

This last summer a good chunk of Kim's cow herd was about three and a half hours away. It made for long days to go ride through them. In the fall we pre-conditioned our calves. That means each calf is given a de-wormer and any medicines if they are sick about 30 days before they are sold. This way they can gain some good weight before they have to go. Since we sell them by the pound that is a definate plus! Anyway, we loaded up the horse trailer, hooked it to the semi (so all our kids would fit) and headed out! We also invited about 40 of the handiest cowboys to come with us.

We pulled up to this empty barn and set up shop! This was our sink. Stove and prepping area are in the background.

We got there in time to set up camp and feed the horses.

Then we shucked all the corn for tomorrow's dinner.

We gathered up all our family, a grandpa and a stray Amish man to finish up our chores.

The horse trailer in the background was what we lived out of. Kim & I slept in the gooseneck, Dakota slept on a cot in the barn with Grandpa and Amish guy, Kade had his own tent set up behind the trailer and the three little ones slept in the sleeper part of the semi. It wasn't the Hilton, but we had a good time.

This is my kitchen. I fed 40 cowboys supper, breakfast and lucnch. The only problem we had was that the mormon girl didn't bring any coffee.

They got over that when I showed them dessert though.



We did have this one stow-a-way. It's ok, he doesn't eat much.














2 comments:

Grandma Kroll said...

Trust me they would not have wanted your coffee. It seems that there is an art to making coffee that morman girls don't have. When I worked in a cafe they would not let me make the coffee in a coffe maker with the coffee premeasured in a filter. I have no idea how that could go wrong but they told me it could when I made it.

Penny said...

that's funny you should comment because the most vocal one was your relative---Dave!!!!!