Indian creek ticker

Saturday, August 14, 2010

I am on the computer.
I look over into the kitchen.
I see Kort(6 yrs old) making himself a sandwich.
"Whatcha doing?", I ask.
"Makin' another samitch.", he replies like I'm from another planet.
Bittersweet.
On one hand--YeeHaw!!!He can make his own lunch. A whole new world of freedom opened up.
On the other hand----I will never be needed for lunch again. That's what I do. I'm needed and then I help. :(
All new territory. In 10 days (according to Kennedy's sparkly paper chain), I will drop off all five of my kids at school and head to work.
Wow. Not bad, just different. I think I will even like it. But I'm not a---stay at home mom---anymore. That's what I've been since 1995. I think I will miss it. I am looking forward to the new system, but a little mourning for the stay at home mom phase. I will wear black for two days. Then I will be fine.
I am a little strange. As I get older I am enjoying my strangeness more and more.


Well I hate to post and run, but...well truth be told, someone just puked. And I'm needed, so I help. Maybe this new freedom isn't so bad after all. Maybe one day they will puke and clean up after themselves. That will NOT be bittersweet. That will be heavenly.
p.s.: Don't even ask about the two inch gap between the edge of my stovetop and the edge of my countertop. It is a constant source of irritation. Let's just say...I told her so!!!!

2 comments:

Mellonee said...

One day at the store I heard a little boy say "geen mommy, it's geen!" and I had a little cry because all of mine were too old to say 'geen mommy geen'. But when a mom does the finger pull diaper test and has to gather supplies and leave the room I have a little moment of glad to be me. Times and seasons I guess. Welcome to what I think is the best phase so far 'every one is in school and can jama and wipe themselves and no one has left the nest yet."

Stacy Summers said...

How are you! Are you enjoying your new-ish job? Think of you often!