"Honey? Um...the boss just called."
"Yes?"
"And , well the milk cows are out."
"O.K.?"
"Um...could you and the kids go get them in."
"(dramatic pause) Yes, we'll go get them. Where are they?"
"Well, I don't exactly know. Maybe just wander around a bit, they couldn't have gone to far."
At this point my mind wanders back to a little gathering at my friend Jenie's house a couple of weeks after high school graduation (1989). A bunch of us freshly graduated know-it-alls were discussing what kind of man we were going to marry. In all my 18 year old wisdom. I informed the group that my tall basketball playing lawyer of a husband would be a such a great guy. We would live in our beautiful home at the end of the cul de sac.
There are no milk cows in cul de sacs!I've visited one the other day. Not a single ding-dong milk cow in the whole area!
Back to my life where I take a deep breath and assemble my team:one 12 yr old trumpet player
one 9 yr old sissy pants
one 6 yr old sassy mouth
one 5 yr old heathen
Me and the sissy pants jump on the four wheeler and the rest get in the mule and off we go.
I start driving....and somehow get to thinking that I really am the cowgirl that should live at my house. I tear up the mountain looking for the two escapees. Then I happen to look back and notice that in my haste to be a good cowgirl I drove right past the milk cows. Trumpet player and his crew already spotted the cows and have them turned back to the barn. I do a 12 point turn around and sheepishly follow the youngsters. The cows do pretty good and we get them back in thier pens relatively easy--considering that I would still be wandering the mountains looking for the old gals!

I'm glad that somebody around here can get things done, because heaven knows that it sure isn't me!
I don't know the moral...just make sure that the gate latches next time you come out of the milk cow pen, or you could be reminded that sometimes 18 yr old know-it-alls never do grow up!



7 comments:
Wow!! I get to be the first to comment. You rock at this blogging thing. There was a talk on Sunday about family history and they said blogging was a form of family history. So think of this whole blogging thing as following what the prophet has commanded us to do. And you can quote that to Kim if he has problems with no clothes to wear cuz you are to busy keeping up your blog.
First of all, you have a very exciting life and I love that you blog about it. Second, thank you Kristy for your comment. So you are saying that I am doing family history and reading others . . .sweet. See you guys soon, hopefully since I will be closer.
I dream of such an adventurous life! I called my parent's dog back into the yard the other day when she was wandering in the street, but that's about as exciting as it has been around here.
Too funny Penny! And I have to say that I have told my husband from the start that this is family history! When you can actually print it out as a book at the end of the year?
Your blog is so funny you could probalby sell your books Penny! And then use the money to buy a better gate latch for the milk cows.
Sally, I have met your mother's dog and believe me. Dutchess is pretty darn adventuresome just by her own self!
I read this this morning and I have giggled several times today! Your life rocks!!
Lauging out loud, what a day for you and your "crew". Your kids are darling by the way. I love the picture of all of them on your header, too cute!
Post a Comment